Featured Post

Side-Giggers And The Future

In the advertising world, moonlighting while holding down a full time job has been around for decades. Millennials have taken it to a new he...

Sunday, April 30, 2023

Be Curious

 

Several years ago, I was on a panel at a conference and a question came up for all of us. It was “what advice would you give a young person starting their first job?”

 

As we went around the horn, people said things to the effect as learn all cutting edge computer skills, find a good mentor or two, work harder than your colleagues, and always keep your resume updated.

 

When they at last came to me, I said that I do not to give advice as it reeks of telling others how to live but I followed with, if pressed, I would simply say, “Be Curious.”

 

This got a few smiles from the attendees but, as I think back, it may well be the best advice that I have ever given to anyone.

 

Think about it for a moment. So many people seem to amble through life rarely asking why. Others are so superficial it is frightening. Many times, I was asked to brief someone for a meeting. The request would go something like “Make me smart on this topic. I have five minutes.”

 

I would try to be succinct but was always stunned at the request. Also, people working on a piece of business would not be willing to read a FORBES, FORTUNE or BUSINESS WEEK article about a company that was a direct competitor to their client. One person told me, “You are not my direct boss, and I am not giving up a half hour of my weekend to read that. I do enough here.” Pathetically, the direct boss did not encourage his team to read the article, but I had my team read it and we discussed it at length over a lunchtime pizza.  Everyone left knowing their client a bit better and what challenges it faced.

 

I understand that I am more curious about some topics than most. If it is something that I am very interested in such as markets, economic thought, certain areas of history, or foreign lifestyles I am all over it and read all that I can about it.

 

The issue is that curiosity is very valuable. I find that asking questions or reading about a topic in detail opens my mind up to different points of view. I rarely will argue directly with someone about politics or the economy but do probe a bit. 

 

As I get older I understand that dwelling on the past goes little good, I have to live in the present and always use the here and now to plan for the future.

 

Finally, do not confuse real curiosity with nosiness. When people start a sentence with: Tell me, I am curious about …. my antennae go up and I generally dodge giving an answer.

 

So, my unsolicited advice is keep asking why and dig a bit. Be curious!

 

If you would like to contact Don Cole directly, you may reach him at doncolemedia@gmail.com or leave a message on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment