Featured Post

Side-Giggers And The Future

In the advertising world, moonlighting while holding down a full time job has been around for decades. Millennials have taken it to a new he...

Monday, July 24, 2023

The Greatest Measure

 

As I get older, I suppose I am getting a bit wistful. Every now and then, someone asks me how I feel about my life. The answer may surprise you. If I had to sum it up in one word, it would be GRATITUDE.

 

Most of us have so much to be thankful for yet seem to focus on some negative issues. And millions compare themselves to others or talk about the dreams or possessions of others instead of their own. Whenever I get a bit down, I take an inventory which always leaves me feeling grateful.

 

For example:

 

I live in a century where medicine is many times greater than at any time in history. If I were born even 20 years earlier there is no way I would have made it to my present age.

 

I grew up in the 2nd half of the 20th century in the United States. I had supportive parents, was non-ethnic and I had a graduate degree from a good school. The runway was long and very clear compared to 98% of the people in the world. I was lucky.

 

Even though we were very different people, my father always gave me constant encouragement. Never once did he tell me I was a hopeless dreamer. His support sustained me through many rough patches. I was only 27 when he died; I still miss his kind words.

 

I live in a country which is still full of opportunity. Also, I can say and largely do what I want. Most of the seven billion people on earth are not so lucky.

 

My wife and children are the joy of my existence. I do not deserve them and my gratitude to them is boundless.

 

It amazes me how people measure their success vs. the material success of others. The measure should be yours –no one else. Each of us is unique and has unique experiences. We may have had to overcome obstacles that others did not. If you have gratitude, you may be the real winner for appreciating your life.

 

Young adults come under a lot of criticism. One area that I admire many of them for is their focus on experiential purchases. Many 20-somethings hop across the globe and examine other cultures. Some sample exotic foods and wines. They spend money on doing rather than on things (material things). I would bet that they will have far fewer regrets later in life than those who merely chased material things. The interaction with others, the understanding of those of different backgrounds, and the challenges they faced will leave them content.


So, to me, the greatest game of all is gratitude.

 

If  you would like to contact Don Cole directly, you may reach him at doncolemedia@gmail.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment