Featured Post

Side-Giggers And The Future

In the advertising world, moonlighting while holding down a full time job has been around for decades. Millennials have taken it to a new he...

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Follow-up on Side-Giggers

A few days ago I put up a post on Side-Giggers and why it is important for most of us to have something to fall back on in these changing times. It generated some mail but two of my panel members asked that I do a brief post adding to it. Here are their comments:

1) “Don, everyone can not have a side hustle. For many people, it is all they can do to get through the day. If you are young and healthy and not burdened with responsibilities, then a side-gig is terrific. As you have told me, only 13-14% of Americans ever become entrepreneurs and most fail. Some people are just not cut out for it. A single mom has enough on her hands. A side hustle? I don’t think so. An old fart like you? I don’t know where you get the energy. I sure don’t have it.”

2) “One point that you may not have thought of in an otherwise solid post is that Side-Giggers often save businesses. How do I know? Easy. They have saved mine. There is no way that I could have stayed in business the last five years without freelancers coming in to help on an as needed basis. I could not have afforded to pay their benefits if they were full time but using them, only as needed, has saved my bacon. Also, what they do is not perfect. Often, our core group has to re-work much of their material. Still, it has paid off for us. I have talked to a few people who after a drink or two or if I know them well, will admit the same thing. Our firms only exist because we bring in the Side-Giggers for brief, sometimes short intense bursts. Why bring this up? No one will likely ever do a research study on this. It is not something that most people will admit.”

I thank my friends for their candor.

If you would like to contact Don Cole directly, you may reach him at doncolemedia@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment